Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bad Economy. Great Design.

I can't remember a time when I've had less money.  I'm working more and making less, and all those little luxuries seem like a thing of the past.  I've never been one to compromise on style, however.  So, I've had to rethink how I live.

When I was in my early twenties I enrolled in the famous Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan where I studied interior design for two years.  I'm more of an artist than a designer, and as flighty as most artists are, I got bored and quit in my second year.  I abandoned my hard-earned, perfect 4.0 GPA.  I had read an article about designers, from my school, who had quit and just started working.  I figured I'd eventually do the same.  "Eventually" is a big problem for me.  I worked in retail management for many years.  Then I became an interior designer for a huge mega furniture store.  That wasn't very satisfying to my hungry soul.  Then I sold flooring.  I was getting closer, but not there yet.  Then I got this job, a designer for a kitchen and bath showroom.  Right now I am the closest I've ever been to what I know I should be doing, but my soul is still hungry.  My days are long.  My creativity is often curtailed by limited budgets and people who think sensible beige is the only color that should ever be used on a wall, and it seems like my job is 10% design, 40% collection agent, and 50% crisis management.

 I've been doing a lot in that period between college and eventually, but not what I need to be doing.  Eventually begins today.  The first thing I need to start on my path to a sated soul is an office.  My office budget is almost completely non-existent, but my ideas are big.  So, I'm raiding my garage, shed and a tag sale or two.  I'm pulling out the power tools and dusting off my paint brushes.  I hope you will join me in my creative endeavor as I transform my big, nearly empty, room over garage into an office fit for a top designer... the job I want... not the job I have.  I will be re-purposing my childhood bedroom set and furniture from my childhood home, along with odds and ends I pick up along the way.   In the process, I hope I can inspire you to turn your sad, run down junk into pieces fit for the pages of a home fashion mag.  Keep your wallet shut and follow me.  Together we can make magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment